I was able to attach all the blocks to the sashing yesterday. It took longer than I had intended for it to, because I used the same fabric that I made the hearts out of to make the sashing and it took me forever to decide which fabrics should go where: I never should have done that. I know many people like the scrappy, used it up look on quilts that are made with new fabrics, but I do not. I am very passionate about making scrap quilts using left over fabrics as well as recycled clothing, sheets, etc. To use new fabric though, with the intention of making something look scrappy is not for me. Never-the-less, using up the odds and ends of the heart fabric is what I did. It doesn’t look too bad, it’s just the lack of symmetry is annoying to me.
Once I had it all assembled, I laid it out and took many long looks at it, trying to decide what my next step should be. I thought perhaps I should just add the border, sandwich the batting and backing to it and get it on my frame. That is not what I did. Instead I grabbed my pearl cotton, embroidery floss and needle and I set to work adding more embroidered trim to each block.
I was able to get one block done yesterday with a modified herringbone stitch and French knots. My Grandmother would be so very proud of me. A long time ago she she spent an entire day trying to teach me how to do French knots and no matter how hard she tried, I just couldn’t get it. Now look at me, I am a French knot making fool!
When I started this quilt I had high hopes that I would get it done before Valentines Day. All of my hopes were dashed yesterday when I made the decision to add another embroidered border to each block. Instead, my intention has shifted to making this quilt to the very best of my ability and many, just maybe, I will enter it into some local quilt competitions this year. Nothing major, just the local county fairs and such. We will see.