Finally Finished!

My Dutch Windmill quilt is finally finished. The binding went on yesterday and I was able to wash & dry it to get all the quilting marks removed. The finished size of this little quilt is 41 x 58”. It shrank a little in the dryer and that is because when I purchased the fabrics, I only hand washed and lined dried them, instead of running them through the washer and dryer. I did this for several reasons. The first is that I only wanted to get rid of the fabric sizing that the manufacture put on them, I really dislike the feeling of unwashed quilting fabric and I swear all those chemicals are coming off it and are being absorbed through my skin. (OCD, with a touch of paranoia don’t you know.) The second reason is because I did not want the fabric to fray on the edges from being machine dried, to me it is a waste of fabric, even if it is only an 1/8”. The third and last reason, is that I like a quilt that is a little crinkled, I think it adds a bit of character to the piece.


Nature's Touch LableThe only thing I dislike about this quilt is that I used Nature’s Touch batting in it. This was the first time I used it and I can honestly say, I probably will not purchase it again and here is why. To machine quilt with this batting is messy. The lint clogged up my machine and I would clean it every day. I had tufts of batting moving around my sewing room floor like little tumble weeds and it clung to the fabric. Even after it went through the washer and dryer, I still had to pick the batting lint off of it.

I really like Cream Rose batting best for all my quilting needs. It is the perfect weight, it is great for hand quilting or machine and it crinkles just perfectly.

OK, now onto the next project!

3 thoughts on “Finally Finished!

Comments are closed.