I have been having fun playing around with my Crossroads quilt over the past several weeks. All of my scrappy blocks are done, but when I laid them out I discovered that some of them measure 11 1/4” and others are 11 1/2”. I have no idea how I managed to do that and I had no intention of remaking any of them, so I compromised and added sashing around each block, then squared them all up to 12 1/2”. It’s a scrappy quilt and I don’t think anyone is going to notice when the whole thing is complete, so all’s well that ends well.
I bordered them with some Halloween fabric that I found at a local quilt shop last month, and although I know I said I would not be purchasing any more fabric, the 8 fat quarters that I purchased did have a purpose, which I will reveal in another post later on. I think the oranges and blacks look a bit odd on the individual blocks, but when the are laid next to the, soon to be assembled, center section it all comes together.
I have almost completely depleted my 2” precut squares, so I decided to stop making the Crossroads blocks and move onto a variety of different patterns to complete the quilt. Because I wanted to stay with the scrappy theme, I made up some other blocks using the other precut squares that I already have on hand and this is one of the designs I came up with.
My original intention was to recreate this block:
…but I couldn’t find a pattern for it and I didn’t feel like doing the math required to make a pattern so I cheated and did this instead:
Funny though, two days after I sketched this out and began assembly on my blocks Kathy over at https://livinginrapidcity.wordpress.com made and wrote about the block I wanted to make. LOL, talk about coincidence! Kathy’s block is here if you would like to see what she did.
The block that I made looks very familiar, but after going through all my quilt books and reviewing my online pattern sources, I can’t seem to find it. If anyone has any information about this pattern please let me know. The last thing I want to do is take credit away from another designer. Plus I would really like to have a name for it. For now though I am calling it Bella’s Block. Yeah, I know, really original. I am hoping to have the tutorial to make this block up this week, so please stay tuned.